Our 2019 programme
In 2019, we will hold two sessions of the IYM programme during the July school holidays. Session 1 will run from 7th - 12th July and Session 2 will be held from 14th - 19th July. Students can indicate a preference for either session I and II and we will do our best to accommodate requests where possible.
Students will stay at Silverstream Retreat, Lower Hutt and travel each day to a variety of technology businesses, research institutes and tertiary education providers in the Wellington region.
Participants will experience a range of technologies through hands-on activities and be inspired by other women who have built careers and businesses in the technology and innovation sector. These women are leaders in a range of science and technology fields and are passionate about their careers in the sector.
You can also read more about our 2018 programme and its impact in this report [PDF, 2.1 MB]. Here are just a few of the highlights from the 2018 programme that girls experienced!
- Learned about Antarctic ice cores and got up close and personal with an electron scanning microscope at Victoria University
- Experienced cutting-edge virtual reality technologies at the new Te Auaha Institute of Creativity
- Played fossil detective, learned about fabric forensics, and made their own ice cream using liquid nitrogen at GNS Science
- Explored the chemistry behind new 'smart' paint that can switch on lights, and helped test used plastic bottles being turned into brand new food containers
- Visited Parliament for a networking reception with some of New Zealand's leading scientists, innovators and politicians
Our 2019 draft programme is coming soon - along with our brand new website! This will be available prior to applications opening on 1st November 2018.
The full cost of the programme is $670, but the great news is that some Rotary Club sponsorship is available, which can lower the cost to just $120.00. In some cases, full scholarships are also offered. Please contact us for more information about sponsorship and scholarships.
- Nov 1, 2018: Applications open
- April 1, 2019: Applications close
- May 10, 2019: Applicants notified if accepted
- July 7-12: Programme Session I
- July 14-19: Programme Session II